Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Laugh!

What made me laugh this year, hm?

I had kind of shitty year, so there were days when I was in search of things to make me laugh. Here are a few that made me happy and chuckly:

Amy's Blog
And just Amy herself, actually. I "met" Amy on Twitter, and soon after she started her blog, and it is pure awesome. She's extra funny. And we share two boyfriends: Dr. Spencer Reid and Jason Bateman. Yes, that's how cool she is. She shares her imaginary Hollywood boyfriends with me. Only your better Internet friends will do that.

Bo Burnham's YouTube
I know I keep mentioning him. I guess I hope he has a Google alert on his own name, and if he sees my site enough, he'll check it and yadda, yadda, yadda, we'll get married. He'd obviously have to be okay with my aforementioned boyfriends. And, for the record, I would totally share him with Amy, too.

Mark Leyner's Et Tu, Babe
My standby "cheer me up when I'm sad" read used to be Deep Thoughts and Steven Wright quotes. I was introduced to Mark Leyner by the awesome Dr. Stanley Fogel, who taught me more about literary criticism in the few classes I took with him than I learned in the rest of university altogether. You can buy his books here, if you're into that hokey lit crit stuff. Or Cuba. One of them's about Cuba.

Anyhow, the first time I read Et Tu, Babe, I was sitting in the cafe in the Dana Porter library at UW, and I had to leave. I was laughing so hard that I was bothering people. So I went outside, where I laughed until I cried so much that a random passerby asked me if I was okay. This endorsement is ringing.


My Kids
I don't have a link for them, but you sure should wish you knew them. They're awesome to the extreme. And SO FUNNY. And not just in a "Oh, that's so cute, did you hear how stupid what she said was?" kind of way. They have amazing senses of humour and prodigious comedic timing. Bria's mind goes at a mile a minute all the time, and she floors me with how fast she can think of a witty retort or zingy one-liner. Marissa has sarcasm nailed better than any five year old I've ever heard of, and even I envy her deadpan.

And, yes, sometimes they just say or do things that are funny because kids do weird shit.


***


Okay, that's it. I mean, sure, other things probably made me laugh. Life just kinda makes me laugh, which is something I'm very grateful for. I hope I never take life so seriously that I don't see how beautifully absurd it is anymore. But when I do have those days when I'm just too pissed off or disappointed to smile, these are the things that turned my frown upside down.

Maybe they can do the same for you. Except not my kids. Get your own. Unless you're really young or incredibly irresponsible or sociopathic or otherwise not fit to be a parent. Then just maybe stick with the blog and the youtube and the book.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, your two little apples did not fall far from your funny, sarcastic, witty tree!! They are some fabulous, smart & funny girls!!

    ReplyDelete