Tuesday, 6 September 2011

It Turned Cold and That's Where It Ends

Summer--the societal construct, not the season--is over.

Today was back to school time, and I was so excited for it. I'm not good at routines, so I need to have them forced upon me. My life has become a mess of spontaneity and irresponsibility over the past two months. It was fun, but I'm all funned out. I need to get back to BUSINESS.

Maybe it's because I feel like I've ALWAYS been in school--well, I don't just feel like that. There were only two years that I wasn't in school out of the last 24--but the year always starts in September for me. Summer is for fun and craziness and beach trips and lounging about and staying up too late. And then at the end of it, I turn another year older and get myself back on track in the Fall.

So now I'm getting my goal on. (What does that even mean? Why do I talk like that?) I'm going to tell you my goals. Why? Because it's my blog and I can do what I want, no matter how self-centred it is.

Goal 1: Think More
Don't tell this blog, but one of my goals is to keep my other blog more up to date. I started it a really long time ago as a place to write through the process of learning about things like politics and world issues and current events. I posted to it six times. Then summer hit. See above for what I spent the summer doing instead of thinking. The goal, in measurable terms, is to post at least twice a week to that other blog.

Goal 2: Do Winter Things 
Normally the only winter thing I do is hibernate. Almost literally. I've spent entire weekends wrapped in my sleeping bag. You think I'm exaggerating, but you can unzip just the bottom, so you don't even have to take it off to pee. Not exaggerating.

Last year I started learning to skate and I even got to the learning to stop part, which I think you'll agree is the hardest part. This year, I want to skate more and get really good at it.  I also want to go toboganning because I don't think I've done that in close to twenty years, and that is just way too long to have not literally hurled oneself down a slippery slope.

Goal 3: Get a Job I Like
I've never had a job I really liked. Truthfully, my favourite job was working at Tim Hortons because I really like customer service. My current job is okay, but irregular and lonely. I want to get a job doing something that is at least mildly challenging and in which I get to work with people. I think I can find one of those.

Goal 4: Establish Routines
As already stated, I don't have routines. None. Sometimes I have coffee in the morning; sometimes I don't. Sometimes I watch a particular television show; sometimes I skip it. Sometimes I go to bed at 9PM; sometimes I stay up until 4AM. Sometimes I brush my teeth before I shower; sometimes I brush my teeth after I shower. The only thing that could be defined as "my way of doing things" is doing things in a state of utter chaos. At times, I genuinely like that about myself, but I want to be grown up now. I at least want to have the option.



That's all. Four goals is more than enough for me for one winter.
Happy Fall, Folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment