Monday, 15 August 2011

Men Doing Women

It always seems so very cute to me when male singers or bands cover songs that are so very entirely chick songs. It brings a new perspective to the song, and the existing connotations bring a certain softness and vulnerability to the male aesthetic. It's a really interesting bit of whatever you call the music version of intertextuality. Intermusicality? Let's call it that.

I don't mean to sound like a total hypocrite (but KIR folks: I really am a total hypocrite) but I don't think the same holds true for female bands/singers covering male-centric songs. Actually, I generally hate when they do that. Like Sheryl Crow covering The First Cut is the Deepest actually made me angry, for example. I don't know why. Sometimes I think I'm a strange product of post-feminism and I harbour a latent hatred for women. But that's probably a topic for another post therapy session.

For your Music Monday listening pleasure (should you choose to hit play), I present my favourite instances of men covering women.



Cake - I Will Survive


I'm a huge fan of Cake, and not just because I also like the other kind of cake. But something about a man singing this song is just pretty dang awesome. It makes me want to hug him and shit.


Everybody and Their Brother and Assorted Other Male Relatives- Baby One More Time


A bunch of male bands/singers have done this song. I think I like every single one of their versions better than the original, but they're all basically the same. I used Travis because my research told me theirs was the first popular cover, and because they were the least jokey about the whole thing.


Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love

Awesomesauce. Like everything Phil does. Phil Collins is the fricking man. F'real. I don't care what you want to say about his Disney phase or whatever else, nobody out-drums Phil. Some guys may be able to get in the pocket--Phil Collins is the pocket.

Also, this song is very cool. It's only last because it's the most upbeatiest, so if anybody happened to actually scroll through these songs playing them, I hope this one is the one you leave to go take on Monday with. Because it's chippy and, well, Phil.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment