Monday, 25 July 2011

My Ultimate One-Hit Wonder Tour



I really like live music, so quite often when I'm listening to the radio, I think about whether the artist or band is one I'd like to see perform. At some point over the past year, I started being bummed about how many songs I love and will never be able to see performed live because they were the one hit of a short-lived wonder.  I began to compile a mental list of these songs--ones that in some cases get a lot of radio play and are still cherished favourites of at least my generation (the generation of the one-hit market-it-until-it's-dead wonder, really). Yet God and the people at TMZ only know what ever happened to the band members or singers who made them a part of the soundtrack of our lives.

I thought it would be totally righteous if someone put together a tour of these songs. With the original artists each playing whatever one or two songs were once the boat for their gravy train.

Here's the beginnings of my set list for the ULTIMATE ONE HIT WONDER TOUR:
(with links for your listening pleasure where I could find an official-looking youtube video)

I Touch Myself - The Divinyls (this was known as my song for most of my adolescence)
I'm Blue - Eiffel 65
99 Luftballoons/ Red Ballons - Nena
My Sharona - The Knack
How Bizarre - OMC
I Love You Period - Dan Baird (cause anything featuring punctuation is awesome)
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
Two Princes - Spin Doctors
Breakfast at Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something
Love is All Around - Wet Wet Wet
She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
Because I Got High - Afroman
Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground
Right Here, Right Now - Jesus Jones
Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn
Cotton Eyed Joe - Rednex (shut up)
Sugar High - Coyote Shivers
Steal My Sunshine - Len
Closing Time - Semisonic

I already have this tour logistically planned as to how it would work, so if anyone out there wants to back it, give me a call and I'll send you my sketches.

I don't give a damn if any of these bands have 'really amazing songs that most people never heard' or if 'they still perform all the time if only you weren't so mainstream' or if 'everyone in them is dead' or anything else you might want to say to be all annoying and factual about the one-hittedness of their wonder or their ability to perform on this tour.

But I do want to hear what would be on the set list of your Ultimate One Hit Wonder Tour. So share!

No comments:

Post a Comment